Money is made up of whole numbers (e.g. dollars, pounds) and decimals (e.g. cents, pence).
Class Activity: Let's go to lunch!
Pretend you're going out to lunch at a cafe.
- Split up into groups of 2 or 3 people. Choose one person to be the cafe owner. The other people will be the customers. (Don't worry- you can take turns switching roles later.)
- Customers choose what they want for lunch and the cafe owner writes it on the order form with the prices.
- Once customers finish their lunch (this part is just pretending), work out as a group:
- The least number of notes and coins needed to pay the total amount.
- The notes and coins needed for change if the customer pays with a larger amount
- Discuss your results as a class.