- To build a 3D shape model based on a given net.
- To practice classifying solids.
- To practice visualising the different faces of prisms.
- Pretzel sticks (or drinking straws)
- Marshmallows or soft gumdrop candies (or blue-tac)
- Printed out nets
Work in small groups or on your own.
- Several nets are provided below, you can use these or find your own. Choose at least 4 nets.
- For each net you choose:
- Classify the net.
- Then, use the pretzels to build the shape and the marshmallows or gumdrops to secure the pretzels together.
- Once the shape is built draw a sketch of the top view of the shape, the side view of the shape, and the front view of the shape.
- Sketch the cross section of the shape you created.
Compare with Friends!
- Find a person who has chosen to build different nets than you did.
- Guess what the front, top and side views of the shape look like before looking at that person’s sketch.
- Once you have made your guess, check their sketch to see if you were right.
- Have them do the same to you.