Let's take a look at this word problem:
It's a beautiful day and two brothers decided to race each other. Their names are Bob and Jim. Bob is two years older than Jim. Bob gives Jim a 10 meter head start. Jim runs at 2 meters per second. Bob runs at 3 meters per second. How long after the brothers start will the older brother catch up to the younger brother?
- How would you solve this problem?
- Solve it.
- Why did you choose this particular method for solving
- Now find someone who used a different method to you
- Tell each other why you chose your particular method for solving this problems. Which method do you think is better?
- What information can you get or see in your partner's method of solving that are different from yours?
- Did looking at both methods give you a better picture of the situation? How so?
- Together, try using another method and see what more information you can get from it?